Knees for You Homepage      Contact Patricia Walter

Author Topic: Osteotomy or Partial in 45 Year Old.  (Read 8813 times)

arthurjames

• View Profile
Re: Osteotomy or Partial in 45 Year Old.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 01:17:08 AM »
@Tblake how are you now? Hope your knee has recovered well.
OrthoTexas, Frisco

pwalter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Osteotomy or Partial in 45 Year Old.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »
Hi

Welcome to Knee Talk.

This group is still small and I don't know if you will get many responses.  I am very involved with hip resurfacing and started this site because many people with hip problems also have knee problems.

The one thing I have learned during the last 3 years of doing my other large website is to try to get second or third opinions from surgeons - especially when you have many questions about what you think is best for your situation.  The surgoens don't all think alike.  I would never proceed on the basis of only one surgeons suggestion.   I went to 4 local orthopedics when I needed a hip and ended up going to Belgium to get my hip resurfacing since there were not many US doctors doing the surgery at the time.  The reason I mention this is to illustrate that you often need more input if you are not happy with what your doctor is telling you.

The partial knees are designed for younger people and to help keep the surgeon from having to cut off larger portions of bone to place the devices.  It is similar with hip resurfacing since it too conserves bone for younger people.  I think you should keep looking and getting your questions answered until you feel you have a good solution for your problem.

I will also mention that I know the partial knees are difficult surgeries just like hip resurfacing and you need to have a really experienced surgeon do your surgery.  Don't choose one that does a few now and then.  Find a surgeon that specializes in that type of surgery.

I have a few surgeons listed on my website, but you can gather together you list of questions and be sure to ask them of each doctor.  Ask how many of the partial knees they do per year.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat

Tblake

• View Profile
Osteotomy or Partial in 45 Year Old.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »
Had knee surgery on a torn meniscus last Sept.  Knee has severe arthritis in medial compartment and after surgery progressively got worse. Went to my Ortho this morning and he is bent on doing  an Osteotomy with cartilage replacement. He says I am too young (45)for a partial and it will just wear out causing other complications. I am self employed and the recovery time for osteotomy is way too long and I will possibly lose my business. He wants to scope knee to see if patellar compartment has OA also. He said he will do partial but its my decision and he doesn't recommend it. Thoughts please???